Wednesday, January 26, 2011


I love Lindsay. She is my BFF. As I was asking her "why is it that red peppers cost more than green peppers?" we started talking about what I was making for dinner. As I told her about the recipe, she said she had made it before and it was yummy. Well of course that got me pretty excited. Then she was at Walmart so she picked up the ingredients and she is making it tonight for dinner. Linds is a way better cook than me so I'm sure hers will come out as a 10!

Mine turned out fine. Luckily, I made smashed potatoes (mashed potatoes + milk + cheese + bacon bits) and so I knew that the kids would eat that if nothing else. Jasmine really doesn't like meatloaf and Bret isn't in love with the concept.
Bret gave it a 7 and said it was better than my usual meatloaf recipe.
I don't think Jasmine even put any on her plate.
Alex gave it a 7 but mostly because of the smashed potatoes. He didn't like the peppers.

So we had more than 2/3 leftover. HMMMM! What to do with it? I called the Bale Family and delivered it to them. Hope they enjoy it!

Now back to the peppers!
Why do red peppers cost more?
At my walmart, red peppers this week were $1.64 each. While green peppers were .64 each. At my safeway, red peppers were $1.99 each this week. Green Peppers at Safeway were $1.64. Lindsey was at her walmart while we were talking and her red peppers were a deal at $0.88 each.
This is the answer my research gave me:
Red peppers are just green peppers that have been allowed to fully ripen. There is a risk in letting them stay on the plant that long and it takes more 'field time' so they are losing money by not getting ready to plant something else. So the plants sit in the ground longer waiting for them to ripen.

How much are red peppers at your local store?